History of Bratislava
“You are asking me to tell you a fairy tale. Why? Your Town is a fairy tale itself.”H. Ch. Andersen, during his visit in Bratislava.
The first written references to Bratislava are connected to the battle of Braslavespurch held between Bavarians and old Hungarians in 907. According to a archeological research, the first settlements in the territory of the present day city were already established in the Neolithic period, during the 5th millennium B.C.
The later medieval town, was founded on the site of a former Celtic oppidum, and settlement in Bratislava was continued for more than 2000 years. Roman legions conquered this territory in the middle of the 1st century A.C. and stayed here for couple of centuries. The archeological finds from Roman tombs are open to a public.The first Slavs came to the Carpathian Basin in the first half of the 5th century. The settlements of the present-day Bratislava territory of the 7th century were parts of Samo´s Empire as the earliest form of Slavonic state.
In the Middle Ages, plenty of German settlers decided to settle. Along with Germans and Slovaks, the number of Hungarians increased substantially after the Turkish Wars. Some time ago every native inhabitant of Bratislava was able to speak three languages - German, Slovak, and Hungarian. A large Jewish religious community has lived in the town too, as well as a lot of Italians and nationals of the Balkans. The earliest city privileges were bestowed on the city of Bratislava by King Andrew III in 1291.The first recorded school in Bratislava was a medieval chapter school. The first complete university was founded in 1465, and named Academia Istropolitana which means Academy of the Danube city.
The church of Bratislava Castle, built in the middle of the 9-th century on the site of present day Bratislava Castle Court, is the earliest historically approved Christian sacral structure in the town.
During the Turkish Wars, after the lost of battle of Mohacs in 1526, Bratislava became the capital of Hungarian Kingdom. In 1563 the first Hungarian King crowned in St Martin´s Cathedral was Maximilian. The castle was rebuild and allocated as the king ´s residence. The coronation of 19 kings and queens took place in the Cathedral and the last one was in 1830. Queen Maria Theresia was crowned in 1741, during her reign the Castle was largely rebuild and a number of new palaces were built in the town.
In the 18th century Bratislava became the largest and economically the most important city in Hungary. The tramway system belongs to the oldest in Europe, the tram route linking Bratislava and Vienna remains a legend.
There are couple of world-renowned personalities linked to Bratislava in some way e.g. Regiomontanus, Paracelsus, Bell, Edison, Nobel, Einstein.
FACTS ABOUT BAŠTOVA STREET
Hotel Michalská Brána is located in a very quiet street of the pedestrian zone of the Old Town, Baštova Street 4. Baštova Street is considered to be the narrowest and most romantic street of Bratislava. Street itself tells many stories. It was built in 13th and 14th century and in medieval age and for centuries it used to be famous for being a home of the city hangman. His house was demolished and replaced with a new baroque building in the middle of 18th century right facing the property of our hotel. Hotel Michalská Brána is neighboring to majority of embassies and also therefore our location is very safe.
The first settlement on the Casle Hill: between the Stone Age and Bronze Age. The castle was engraved on coins in 1000-1038. The last serious reconstruction was performed under Maria Theresia´s reign (1740-1780). In 1811 the castle burned down. It was reconstructed in the 1960s.
St. Martin´s Cathedral
Built in the 14th and 15th centuries by the masters who built St. Stephen´s cathedral in Vienna. Eleven kings and eight royal wives were crowned in the cathedral between 1563 and 1830 /at that time Bratislava was a coronation town/. Since 1765, on its 85 meters high tower a 300 kg Hungarian royal crown has sat on a gilded pillow.
Founded in 1465 as the first Slovak University by the king Mathew the Corvinus. The University opened four programs: Arts, Theology, Law and Medicine.Now, it is the Slovak College of Arts offering Theater and Film related programs.
Was built in 1474. In 1762, six-year-old Mozart delights the empress with a private performance there. Now, the palace serves as the Bratislava Art Gallery: Permanent exhibitions of Gothic Table Painting, and Sculpture and other short-term exhibitions.
This Gothic single aisle church was originally built at the beginning of the 14th Century. Today it serves as an excellent classical music concert hall.
Built at the beginning of 14th century. Michael´s gate-attached to the Tower-is the only one out of four entrances to the city preserved from the Middle Ages. Housing an armament and defense museum, the tower provides a beautiful view of the town and the Castle.
During a stroll through Bratislava, visitors like to take photographs of the Čumil in the sewer statue or the statue of the Schöner Naci tilting his hat in greeting. Where the first is only an amusing artistic creation, the second is a commemoration of a real figure. Schöner Naci was a favourite eccentric on the streets of Bratislava in the first half of the twentieth century. The poor but cheerful and courteous Ignác Lamar used to wander around Bratislava looking for work. In Bratislava, German was very widespread and people called him Naci, a nickname for Ignác. Once, a well-off Bratislava lady gave him a tailcoat, pinstriped black trousers, a shirt, a jacket a pair of patent black shoes and a top hat – for beating the dust out of her Persian rugs. When he started walking through town wearing this set of clothes, people began called him Schöner Naci (handome Naci). He always changed into the work clothes he carried in his briefcase for beating rugs, and changed into his topcoat after work. He was affable to everyone, bowed slightly and always spoke to everyone cordially. His popularity grew even more thanks to a newspaper, where he made everyone laugh in an interview saying that he was from a rich family and engaged to a rich American. The official painter Schurmann exhibited a portrait of Schöner Naci on the popular Bratislava promenade. After the war, som of Bratislava´s new inhabitants thought that Schöner Naci on and Ignác was even held in a refugee camp for Germans. After this tragic experience, he became “handsome Ignác”. When the mistake was clarified, Schöner Naci patiently explained in Slovak to everyone who called him by his old German nickname that he was just hadsome Ignác. He began to learn Slovak intensively and succeeded quite well. Up into his old age, he used to wander under the windows of the girls´ boarding house and sing serenades to the young students.
St. Franciscan´s Church
is the oldest church in Bratislava (Consecrated in 1297 in the presence of King Andrew III.). It was rebuilt during 1613-16 in Renaissance style and during 1745-46 in Baroque style. On the north wall of the church is a separate two-floor Gothic chapel of St. John Evangelist (14th century).
Bratislava can be proud of having a real piece of hilly forest in its wider city centre. It is called Horský Park and is truly a peaceful place for walking or jogging. There is a friendly gamekeeper´s lodge on its outskirts, which is not only home to a libresso and tea room, but also to a centre organizing various activities for visitors and their children. On the way to Horský Park, you can meditate on the Calvary near Hlboká Road. It is the first Calvary of its type in Slovakia, which began to be built in 1694 at the place where the Turks who were attacking the town raised their fighting flag. In the nineteenth century, the God-fearing inhabitants of Bratislava built out of the nearby quarry an accurate copy of the cave in the French town of Lourdes with a plaque of thanks.
Old Town hall
In 1387 the City Council bought half of Jacob´s house to establish the town hall and in 1421 the town bought the second part of the house. Now, the Old Town Hall houses the Municipal Museum.
Built in 1777 as Archbishop of Esztergom´s residence. It is located near the old Town Hall. Inside is the beautiful and well known Mirror Hall. Today, the palace is Bratislava´s Mayor seat and an attractive place for exhibitions and cultural events.
Slovak National Theatre
Built between 1884-86. Lighting in the main auditorium is privided by some 2,532 light bulbs, thus allowing for a multitude of different lighting variations. It is now home to opera and ballet productions.
Mentioned in the manuscripts as early as the 9th century, it is undoubtedly one of the most important monuments in the Slovak history. The recently renovated castle provides beautiful views on the rivers Danube and Morava. It´s only 30 minutes by bus, which leaves from under the “Nový Most” bridge.